Do It Yourself healthy noodles. Soba is basically buckwheat and that’s an amazing whole grain with protein & fiber. It’s a total win/win situation. I wanted to show you how easy it is to shop & make your own noodle bowl using soba noodles.
Remember that this is a fusion noodle bowl. My version of a bibimbap [Korean] + soba noodles [Japanese]. The main goal is to have a great noodle & dress it with veggies. Keep in mind that the meat is the garnish so try not to overdo it.
There’s a few basic steps when creating your own noodle inspired meal.
Here’s me shopping:
- Start with a great organic & whole grain noodle like soba. Follow the package for cooking directions. When it says “rinse” your noodles it’s an important step. Soba is starchy and by giving it a good wash you’ll be able to enjoy the flavor. Prepare like this. [Fast forward the video to :33]
- Choose your sauces. Hoisin can be tricky so read the sodium content & check if it has MSG. There’s the Joyce Chen & Soy Vey which are two that I like. Sometimes I’ll shred ginger & turmeric root onto the noodles. Also, if you like it hot try a chili sauce or Siracha.
- Garnish & sides is what makes it so much fun. So try to keep to the 70/30 rule. [I made that up but it sounds cool, lol.] Veggies should make up 70% while meat is the remaining 30% in your bowl.
The two sauces featured above are examples but the links I gave you in tip #2 are best. Also the meat in the picture is a typical Chinese sausage next to a Japanese fish cake. Both are processed but I kind of grew up eating them, some habits are hard to break. Yikes.
I fill my bowl with all kinds of Korean yummy-ness liked pickled cucumber, kimchi or seaweed salad. This is where the 70% comes into play, enjoy building your bowl.
PS: If you spend one day prepping all the tiny bits this dish is a quick grab and go type of meal. The noodle takes 3 MINUTES to cook. Seriously, I get my protein, fiber & goodness in one bowl. PEACE Be the Journey.
Need MEAL PREP HELP? Take this free 60min. workshop: BALANCED BABE It will guide you through an outline so you can create your own healthy meals. It’s all the little techniques I use to balance food, fitness & self-care.