The sounds of nature are therapeutic and holistic but taking time to actually listen can become quite a task. I had an app that allowed me to listen to my favorite nature sounds but it's not the same.
Watch the video on the link below.
We try to hike or do some type of nature inspired fitness. The air quality is better and you don't realize the challenges because the path captivates the imagination.
On this particular hike I told my kamali'i (little ones) to listen. We played a game called: WHAT CAN YOU HEAR? Here are the rules…
- Pick a starting and ending point. (Shorter distance for little ones because it's hard for them to grasp the "quiet" concept.
- During the hike or walk pause if you notice something and enjoy the sound.
- When you reach the END have them share what they heard or noticed.
- You can play this several times during the same hike. Always allowing them to communicate their observations.
National refuge and parks are worth every penny. This one has a $3 suggested donation but it's worth so much more.
The goal is to have adventures that move you. Creating a fit lifestyle takes time but if you designate one trip per month you'll find it extremely rewarding. This allows you to research and prepare for the trip.
I also included a description on my Instagram page and did a mini vlog on YouTube.
We walked a total of 4 miles and enjoyed every minute. This was cheaper than a family membership to a gym or YMCA. More engaging than watching tv and created connection. WOW!
They saw forest, marsh and the Puget Sound coast line. Nature is the only place that will provide fitness for your mind, body and soul.
Want more holistic ideas visit WholelisticFit.com below is an example of the types of articles on that blog.
So you want to gather a few people together and inspire them to get fit. Great! Now what?
In previous post I shared about participating in two types of fitness events as a host or sponsor. Both examples I used were long events, averaging six hours, but what if you don’t have that kind of time or capital ($). Then throw a FITNESS CONCERT!
Here are the benefits…
- You can pack a lot into 90-minutes.
- Simple theme and set up.
- Easy to clean up and manage.
- The focus is on the workout.
- Don’t have to provide food because it’s only 90-minutes.
- Don’t have to provide water because it’s only 90-minutes.
- Party like atmosphere for potential students to feel comfortable.
How to make it happen…
- Pick a theme, date, venue and team. In that order.
- Theme: choose something relevant or top of mind. (Example: Christmas – “Jingle All The Way” Fitness Concert.)
- Date: Weekends are usually crowded but if you plan ahead you can throw a terrific weekday event.
- Venue: Location, location, location. It matters.
- Team: Volunteers to spread the word and help during the concert.
Places to market your event…
- Social Media is a great start but make sure you’re not coming across as spam-ish.
- Make short trailers that you can share across many platforms. Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat have limits on how long your video content can be. (Facebook’s Livestream is pretty fun and almost limitless.)
- Email your list of followers and give them a sneak peek into your event.
- Old school fliers still work so post them everywhere.
- You can also buy ad-space in a local newspaper or guest post on someone else’s blog about your community event.
I shared the event on Instagram and yes I forgot an “s” in subconscious. Grateful for the person who pointed out my mistake, Mahalo Mom. (Lol)
#1 Tip to make your event awesome…
HAVE LIVE MUSIC OR DJ.
That’s the honey to draw your crowd. My thought is that the fitness market is turning out new workouts and dance fitness styles daily but having live music will make your event epic.
Become a Mermaid and PEACE Be the Journey, Ho’omālamalama
You can also read about the inspiration behind the fitness concert here. Hope to see you splashing around in our very own mermaid lagoon.
Share the link and invite a friend – http://www.hoomalamalama.com/MERMAIDS.html
This year I attended Zumba Convention or ZINCON 2016 with my sister & fellow instructor Paish. We vlogged, Snapchat, YouTube our adventures to our friends and families. Nothing impacted me more than the welcome sign,
Master the business of fun!
That was the inspiration I needed to plan, create, host & lead my Zumba classes. It can be challenging to stay motivated while motivating others but that sign said it all! All I have to do is be FUN.
The first event was such a boost and all I could think about was my class. How can I duplicate my experience at #ZINCON to my students & fellow mermaids? What can I offer that would make them excited to dance off those unwanted calories and invite others?
Answer: I need to host a fitness concert, make it fun & make it memorable.
See what we got here.
Check out the #ZINCON lobby here.
Get the dance moves here.
Motivated by #ZINCON and the beautiful ladies in my class I’m hosting a fall kick-off to fitness. My background is Polynesian performing arts and what better way to host a FITNESS CONCERT than “Island Flavor.”
Become a Mermaid & grab the fitness apps resource page, for free. It’s live links that you can use right away with a brief description and cost per app.
Okay I’ll admit it, I use to think that people who read ingredient labels & nutrition facts were a bit extreme. STOP THE PRESS! I’M ONE OF THEM NOW. Perhaps you’re of us too 😉
Let’s cover some general info and remember it’s the back of the packaging that matters most. Don’t trust the advertising on the front. For example natural means NOTHING and organic has classifications.
- This tells you what one serving is according to the measurements. (What! I can’t eat the whole bag?) In other words if I ate two of these I would consume double the DV. (DV: Daily Value)
- The DV is listed for fats, sodium, carbohydrates and so on. (Processed or packaged food requires a longer shelf life. You might see higher sodium content.)
- Nutrition facts such as vitamins and minerals. Fats are broken down too. This varies by country. (I like New Zealand chocolates and I’m always reading their nutrition facts. So simple.)
- This list ingredients and it goes from greatest amount to least as you read down the items.
Be in the KNOW and empower yourself.
Skin Fit: Who doesn’t like a good body butter?! This vlog has the recipe in the description box & the how-to steps.
I don’t always have time to DIY but I enjoy shopping local. Especially when the crafter enjoys their work. Check out farmers market for organic skin care products. (And always read labels)
Foodie Fit: Okay, I had to share this one… Vegan Mac & Cheese!
I grew up in Hawaii so coconut oil, coconut fresh milk & coconut meat was plentiful. Today it’s such a money maker and we should never assume it’s organic. Read labels. The best milk is from the coconut itself and some Asian stores in the PNW carry them. Yippee!
Dance Fit: So I can’t dance as good as these kids but who cares. I just do my own thing. 😉
Please LIKE 😉 Subscribe ✔️ Comment 📱 Share 💓
I’m sure there’s nothing I can say or write that would convince you to believe my examples over your personal experiences. In other words if I said, “A rainbow is one color” you would probably argue with me. (Why?) Because your observation has taught you something else.
When it comes to food your experience is separate from mine. Maybe you react differently to food or are triggered into a memory because of a certain scent. Take a few minutes to answer the questions in the picture above. Is there a connection or contrast in what you consume when you’re happy or sad?
We often dive into diets when we should dive into our food connection.
Five HEALTHY FOOD tips to get you looking at food in a whole new way.
- Acknowledge the type of foods that you rely on to get you through your day.
- Decided if it brings life or death? In other words after you consume the product will your organs thank you with energy & vitality or feel sluggish & irritated.
- Make space for a few substitutions to jump-start healthier choices. (For me it was trading in mashed potatoes for Okinawa sweet-potatoes.) Change one thing at a time.
- Don’t force your new eating habits on others. aka: Don’t act weird at a gatherings where everyone is eating fried foods and cinnamon rolls. When I started I would eat before an event, just in case. That way I wouldn’t give into the cinnamon roll. (Okay, I did pick pieces off my daughters plate.)
- Tweak as you go! (I said tweak not twerk) Nothing is set in stone so reevaluate often and when in doubt ask yourself question #2 and decide from there.
Above is an example of a family gathering where I substituted the romaine lettuce instead of rice. Simple solutions.
Foodie Fit: Pressure cooker Japanese curry. (I just bought a new pressure cooker that can do rice, quinoa, yogurt & now I’m going to try this.)
Taste the freshness, that’s the flavor of life.
I really hope you’re enjoying the BEAUTIFUL BODY challenge because I am. I’m more conscious about my organs & bowel movements, Lol. 😂 Fitness for the digestive system may prevent disease. It doesn’t hurt to eat right.
Dance Fit: Don’t forget to move daily. You’re fitness routine should be 4-5 time a week with variations. Here’s some inspiration from our Party In Pink movement.
Why not start your own movement? All you need are 3 participants: me, myself & I.
One of my most favorite quotes in the world of famous quotes. I’m learning to live by this ancient wisdom everyday.
Please LIKE 😉 Subscribe ✔️ Comment 📱 Share 💓