Fitness is one side to a multifacited life and surrounding yourself with quality products is just as important. I’m sharing a few of my favorite black teas and by a few I mean nine, Lol. I shop local whenever possible and have been fortunate to friend local store owner Robyn Liss of Ubiquitous Journey or Ubi’s Tacoma off the historic 6th Ave area. (You have to visit 6th Ave. businesses in Tacoma but start with Ubi’s.)
Her tea blends inspire me and if you like these just wait until you see all the other varieties in her store. This is just a small example of the organic loose leaf tea selection she carries and we are extremely fortunate to have her in Tacoma. If you’ve never tried loose leaf tea then you’re missing out on some amazing flavor. Oh and the aroma! #huginamug
I could probably fill my blog with images that I capture at her store but they can never do it justice, you simply have to go in and see for yourself. So let me get down to my five reasons to LOOSEN UP!
5 Reasons to Loosen Up!
1. Yummy-ness. That alone should make you run out and buy some. Your tastebuds will fall in love.
2. Quality. Have you ever noticed that tea bags might seem convenient but they lack the fullness. With loose leaf teas you can refill your mug (cup) several times and still taste the full bodied flavor.
3. Healthy. I could spend all day jabbering about the health benefits but you have better things to do with your time.
4. Fit Choice. I’ve come across several teas that are extremely beneficial during recovery periods between workouts.
5. Peace. If the first four didn’t encourage you then think about living a life worthy of reflective moments. There’s something spiritual about tea, almost a zen like feeling that allows you to breathe deep and hā (the resounding exhale at the end of a well lived day).
Well there you have it my 5 reasons to loosen up. I’ve also added images from #UbisTacoma that I thought you might find interesting. Like the DIY section for beauty products or the ah-mazing selection of organic seasonings. Have a prosperous 2017 and PEACE Be the Journey.
Want more holistic lifestyle tips? Click on the images below. It’s an entire blogpost dedicated to the science of, “Sticking to your plans.” It’s a two part blog.
I was having issues with my YouTube account and the video didn’t upload in time for my blogpost. Nevertheless here’s the tutorial.
Read the post DIY YOGURT BAR
The natural probiotics that occur in the finest Greek Yogurt is amazing, but finding a good one isn’t so amazing. Unfortunately almost anyone can add Greek in front of their yogurt label. Since there aren’t regulations regarding this ancient food it can be a sketchy marketplace. That’s why I’m writing this FOOD & FITNESS post.
Apparently even Abraham enjoyed the benefits of yogurt; according to Persian traditions.
I did a previous YouTube video that addressed this issue. Basically it’s all about the first two ingredients. [You can learn more here and forward to 2:05 in the video]
Luckily there’s Ellenos Greek Yogurt from Seattle’s Pikes Place Market. And you can tast the quality. 😉
For my yogurt bar I used:
- 3 Fruits – Frozen organic blueberries, dried mangos, local strawberries.
- 3 Toppings – Hemp hearts (hemp seeds), walnuts, mango & guava purée (jam).
- 2 Yogurt Flavors – Lemon Curd & Marionberry.
- 5 oz Mason jars – to hold this delicious treat.
Making your own yogurt parfait is healthier because you control the ingredients. This idea is perfect for summer time gatherings or snacks-on-the-go. In fact it’s also cheaper. The last time I bought a Greek yogurt parfait, for an after workout snack, I spent $5.85, not including tax. The issue I had was the quality, it definitely wasn’t Greek yogurt! However a 16oz tub of Ellenos is about $6.00 and I can make about 2-3 parfaits.
The 5oz Mason jar is the perfect portion control. Adding the frozen berries gave it a refreshing taste. Along with the dried mangoes that was a fun chewy texture. And topping it off with strawberry chunks was the perfect combination.
I actually did a YouTube video about all the ingredients. Unfortunately it’s taking longer to upload than I expected. So stay tuned.
Update since the original post. Here’s the tutorial post.
PS: Check out the pic-spiration I made. If you want to see more click on the image and it’ll take you to my Instagram page.
I have an active household and majority of what we do is accomplished together. My husband and I talked about sports and extracurricular activities and how it would affect our family. In the end we didn’t want to be too busy being busy. The thought of driving around hysterically trying to make practices, events & meetings would drive me crazy. Then I had a brilliant idea 💡…
I’m a fitness professional, I should just host events that they can participate in!
So I worked with my STSTAHZ (also fitness instructors) and coordinated a summer Sistahz Session. Here’s three (3) other types of fitness events you can host. (Remember to keep it simple, the goal is to promote healthy movement.)
- BBQ & Basketball 🏀 Host a mini-basketball tournament. Maybe a 3:3 session for 15min spurts. Everyone brings meat to grill and choose a grill-master. While the meat is grilling everyone else plays. WINNERS get to make their plates 1st and go to the front of the line. [Parks are perfect for this event.]
- Field Day & Fiesta 🏆 Set up mini-obstacle courses & games in your backyard. Then invite your guest to bring fiesta type foods. Ingredients to build-a-burrito, nachos or tacos. 🌮 It’s basically a potluck with a purpose. You play than you eat.
- Splash & Subs 🌯 Basically its similar to #2 except everyone is bringing ingredients to create their own sub-sandwich or meat wrap. However the activities are water associated. Games like water-balloon-toss or dodge-ball with water balloons. Maybe add a sprinkler obstacle course.
For my event I used the studio on a normally closed day, Sunday. It was a 90-minute workout and potluck. This was my third Sistahz Session and each time I see new faces. I introduced STRONG By Zumba and ran a full set. It was fun. In the end we sweated and smiled! It was worth the planning!!!
If you need help scheduling things out start the free course BALANCED BABE on my holistic fit website.
Above is the digital flier I created to promote my STRONG class. Find a STRONG class near you. Click here.
This will probably be the shortest post because the video says it all. However I did manage to take a few pics along the way. Here’s a simple meat wrap for on-the-go lunches.
I started using this delicious Greek yogurt made in Seattle. Unbelievable texture and flavor. It’s so creamy and dreamy. I’m using the natural Greek yogurt flavor and for more info click here. I like how ingredients can inspire us.
Take the free how-to-plan course + printable BALANCED BEAUTY here.
Hope you enjoyed the simplicity 🙂 and Mahalo (thanks) in advanced for sharing.
Sistahz Soirée came and went. All of the planning, promotion and care was worth it! Luckily Paish did a little Livestream 🤗
We had a fitness session than a lunch break which led us into the DIY sessions.
- Bullet Journals
- T-Shirt Cutting with Style
- Organic self-care products
We were blessed to have the BEST YOGURT at our event. Made in Seattle from a family recipe, Ellenos. The yogurt bar kicked off our buffet followed by organic chips, fruit, granola and more. Not to mention our fave water, Fiji.
The entire event was divided into two sessions; fitness and features (as in – featuring DIY projects). We used the studio space to acomadate the separate agendas.
We allowed the natural light from a Pacific Northwest sun to illuminate our event. The breeze mingled with the happy hearts and smiles went from ear to ear. This was one of the best events I’ve ever done because it combined creativity along with community.
Attendance was geared towards a particular group, women. We didn’t have children or partners working out with us like our regular SISTAHZ SESSION. I don’t think I would have been able to carry out the details and cater to our guest if it was a regular fitness event. This is how I did it… TEAMED UP WITH MAKE MAHALO then I…
- Chose a venue, date, time & audience.
- Created a theme, menu & template.
- Posted and shared the event.
- Gathered all the ingredients and projects.
- Hosted the event and had a blast.
Below was the final digital flier before the actual event.
Here’s a little video about the DIY sessions:
Stay in the loop with the newsletter & get my BALANCED BEAUTY free course here.
Oh so random… be prepared because the following images are interesting but not fitness related. However it is community building. Every year my team & I host a farmers market booth with kiddie crafts and DIY youth projects. And somehow we fit in a ZUMBA @ THE MARKET event so stay tuned.
More info here.
As you can see we’re happy 😊 and it’s the type of happiness that comes from hanging out with positive people. From my limited experience people who practice dance fitness seem to vibe joy. [why?] Because music 🎶 plus movement is motivational.
Music 🎶 plus movement is MOTIVATIONAL.
That statement was profound in my mind, which is why I had to quote it.
I like practicing other forms of fitness but when it comes to Zumba I happily render my body to intense cardio moments. Lol 😂The while premise is that Zumba is more of a party 🎉 and I’ve noticed how it changes perceptions of fitness.
So last year I conducted fitness events but this year it’s all about the 🎉 PARTY. Creating a party like experience that will combine food & fitness. Originally I called these SISTAHZ SESSION but this month, in honor of Mothet’s Day, I’m co-hosting SISTAHZ SOIRÉE for the first time.
Parties with a fitness theme is perfect for any community. It has a way of boosting a fit lifestyle.
- MIND SHIFT. It tricks our brain into believing that it’s not a workout when it really is.
- CELEBRATE. The fun & wow factor takes a mundane task, workout, and turns it into a celebration.
- VALUE. Happy events create intrinsic connections that is deeply felt. It sparks a memory of joy.
- CONNECTION. Sometimes we feel alone in our struggles of health & fitness. Yet spending time with positive people, who are dancing right with you, is super motivating.
- JUMP START. I’ve seen how a simple dance fitness class can be the gateway to other levels of fitness.
This 👆🏽 is my latest event and it’s a Mother’s Day Special. 💜 I’m focusing on spoiling the women in the community who do so much for their families.
Learn more: HERE
👆🏽 Lol, I forgot to post the time on the last image. Lol 😆